A Free Crochet Leaf Pattern to use as embellishments on your projects! This fun pattern will only take minutes to make and is a great way to use up small amounts of yarn.
The free pattern includes details for making a basic crochet leaf in 3 different yarn weights. You can find the written pattern instructions in US crochet terms and a photo tutorial further down the page.
How Do You Crochet An Easy Leaf?
You will begin with a foundation chain to create the vein at the center of the leaf. You will first work your stitches up one side of the chain, make some stitches in your last chain, turn and then crochet down the other side of the foundation chain to finish.
What To Do With Your Crochet Leaves
- Add to crochet flowers to make brooches and hair clips
- Add some leaves and flowers to a headband to create a pretty accessory
- Crochet some little leaves in Fall colors to make a leaf garland
- Embellish a frame with flowers and leaves to make a yarn garden picture!
- Add some colorful leaves to any of your crochet projects for some added flair!
You can use any yarn you have at hand. This is a great stash buster project as you will only need small amounts of yarn. To give you an idea of yarn weight and hook size, I crocheted a sample in 3 yarn weights. You can see approximate measurements below.
- Small – 4 ply or fingering weight yarn using a 3mm crochet hook
- Medium – Dk weight yarn using a 4mm crochet hook
- Large – Worsted weight or aran yarn using a 4.5mm crochet hook
- Small Leaf in 4 ply yarn – 1.5in [4cm] in length
- Medium Leaf in DK weight yarn – 2in [5cm] in length
- Large Leaf in Worsted weight yarn – 2.5in [6cm] in length
You can find many beautiful crochet flower designs on my blog and this simple leaf is a great pattern to add to your collection. Have fun and remember – you can use many different colors to make your crochet leaves!
Check out my most popular Crochet Flower Patterns!
You can find the written instructions for this easy pattern below.
- In the pattern you will make a Picot Stitch. You will chain 2 and then make a single crochet in the 2nd chain from your hook. This forms the ‘point’ of your leaf
- If you are going to be attaching the leaf to a project, leave a long yarn tail for sewing purposes!
- You may find it helpful to refer to the pictures in the photo tutorial. Each picture is refered to by a letter A,B,C,D,E,F,G & H
- Pattern is written in US crochet terms
US Crochet terms
sl st slip stitch
sc single crochet
hdc half double crochet
dc double crochet
Instructions for Free Crochet Pattern for a Leaf
Using your chosen yarn weight and hook (see details above), chain 7
Make 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook (A), 1 hdc in next ch, 1 dc in each of the next 3 ch (B), work (2 hdc, ch 2, 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook (picot made), 2hdc) in last ch (C,D,E).
Working on the opposite side of beg ch-7, 1 dc in each of the next 3 ch (F), 1 hdc in next ch, 1 sc in last ch (G), join with sl st to first sc made (H). Fasten off. Weave in all ends.
Find more Free patterns here
No unauthorized reproduction, in whole or in part, or distribution of this pattern or content is permitted. If you make this pattern, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and be sure to tag me in your photos so I can see it too, @anniedesigncrochet or #anniedesigncrochet – I can’t wait to see what colours you use with this pattern!
The photographs and pattern contained on this page are the property of Annie Design Crochet.com.
This pattern is for personal use only. You may make items to sell from this pattern and linking back to my blog is appreciated. Thank you!