Blog Free patterns

Little Fictions – Free Crochet Pattern for a One Skein Shawl

August 2, 2019
one skein crochet shawl free pattern

Sharing is caring!

Little Fictions is a crochet triangle shawl, with a beautiful drape, using only 400m of fingering weight yarn. One beautiful skein of yarn is all that is needed to show off this light and lacy shawl pattern. A wide wingspan to curl around your neck and shoulders – lovely as a Summer wrap, or a cosy scarf in colder months.

Made using basic crochet stitches that combine to create an interesting 2-row crochet pattern repeat, that is relaxing and quick to crochet.

The shawl is made using a gorgeous skein of yarn from Green Elephant Yarn

Fiona is the talented indie dyer behind the dye studio, and her inspiration for the yarn was from this album cover from Elbow. How well she captured the beautiful colour combo!

I love one skein patterns that you can start and finish quickly, and use up that precious skein completely. They are the perfect portable crochet project and you will have a gorgeous wearable item to dress up that Summer outfit or Fall coat.

You may also like this One Skein Crochet Shawl Pattern for Tendril Shawl

You can find some more crochet shawl patterns HERE

Read on for Instructions and you can purchase an INEXPENSIVE PDF of the Little Fictions pattern on Ravelry

and on Etsy

Skill Level

Only basic stitches are used in this shawl but some concentration is required until the row increases are established.

Materials

Green Elephant Yarn Fingering Weight /437yds [400m]: Non-SW Merino Wool/100gr) in colourway Little Fictions

4.5mm crochet hook, or whatever hook size gives a loose tension

You can use 400m of any fingering weight yarn or yarn weight of your choice and matching hook.

Measurements

Tr       treble crochet

Sp      space

Tr       treble crochet

Dtr     double treble crochet

Sp      space

Notes

• The main body of shawl is worked in one piece from bottom-up, increasing on each side until a shallow wide triangle is made.
  • The shawl can be made larger or smaller by working more or fewer pattern repeats. This will alter the amount of yarn required.
  • You can use any Fingering weight yarn to achieve a similar effect
  • Includes written instructions and a chart. Pattern written in US crochet terms
  • Gauge is not important. To achieve a light drape tension, I suggest you use a hook one size larger than recommended for the yarn you have chosen.

Special Stitches

Picot: Ch 3, sl st into 3rd ch from hook

Instructions for One Skein Crochet Shawl

(See helpful chart further down page)

Using 4.5mm hook, ch 5 (counts as 1 tr and beg ch)

Row 1: (1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc, 1tr) in 5th ch from hook, turn – 2 tr, 2 dc

Row 2: Ch 6 (counts as 1 tr, ch 2 here and throughout), 1 dc in 1st st (base of ch 6), ch 2, skip next dc, 1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, skip next dc, [1 dc, ch 2, 1 tr] in last st (top of beg ch 5), turn – 2 tr, 2 dc, 1 sc

Row 3: Ch 4 (counts as 1 tr here and throughout), [1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc] in 1st st (base of ch 4), skip next ch-2 sp, 1 sc in next dc, skip next ch-2 sp, [1dc, ch 3, 1 dc] in next sc, skip next ch-2 sp, 1 sc in next dc, [1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc, 1 tr] in 4th ch of beg ch 6, turn – 2 tr, 6 dc, 2 sc

Row 4: Ch 6, 1 dc in 1st st (base of ch 6), [ch 2, skip next dc, 1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, skip next dc, 1 dc in next sc] twice, ch 2, skip next dc, 1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, skip next dc, [1 dc, ch 2, 1 tr] in last st (top of beg ch 4), turn – 2 tr, 4 dc, 3 sc

Row 5: Ch 4, [1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc] in 1st st (base of ch 4), skip next ch-2 sp, 1 sc in next dc, * skip next ch-2 sp, [1dc, ch 3, 1 dc] in next sc, skip next ch-2 sp, 1 sc in next dc; rep from * across, ending with [1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc, 1 tr] in 4th ch of beg ch 6, turn.

Row 6: Ch 6, 1 dc in 1st st (base of ch 6), * ch 2, skip next dc, 1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, skip next dc, 1 dc in next sc; rep from * across, ending with [1 dc, ch 2, 1 tr] in last st (top of beg ch 4), turn.

Rows 5 & 6 form pattern repeat

Rows 7 – 52: repeat rows 5-6. Do not fasten off yarn. Continue to border.

Border

You will be working down first side of shawl to ‘peak’ (beg of pattern). You will place each sc in either a ch4 or side post of a tr, as you work your way along the side.

Turn piece to work down 1st side, ch 1, picot (see special stitches), ch 1, 1 sc around 1st row end, * [ch 1, picot, ch 1] in next row end; rep from * working down side of shawl to ‘peak’, and continuing up 2nd side. In final ch-7 sp, work [ch 1, picot, ch 1] sl st into 4th ch of ch 7. Fasten off.

Finishing

Weave in all loose ends. Soak your shawl in lukewarm water and gently wring in a towel. Lay project out to finished size and pull gently into shape. Pin in place and leave to dry. Take your time pinning finished shawl, and if you can, use a pin on each ‘point’ of the border…….it will make a huge difference to the finished piece! Add tassels if you wish.

Tassel Instructions

Make 3 tassels as follows:

Using a book approx. 6-8” in width, cut a 12” length of yarn and lay across top of book – this will be used to tie top of tassel. Wrap yarn around book about 30 times (depending on thickness required). Using the 12” tie, knot top of tassel tightly. Cut tassel at opposite end. Wrap another length of yarn around tassel 1” from top approx..5 times and knot ends together. Trim if needed and sew securely to 3 corners of shawl.

Crochet Chart (rows 1 – 6)

You can purchase an INEXPENSIVE PDF of Little Fictions pattern on Ravelry

and on Etsy

Find more Free patterns here

one skein crochet shawl free pattern

one skein crochet shawl

If you make this pattern, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and be sure to tag me in your photos so I can see it too, @anniedesigncrochet or #anniedesigncrochet – I can’t wait to see what colours you use with this pattern!

The photographs and pattern contained on this page are the property of Annie Design Crochet.com.
This pattern is for personal use only.
No unauthorized reproduction, in whole or in part, or distribution of this pattern or content is permitted.

Sandra
    August 3, 2019 at 1:26 am

Hello Carmen,
    A stunning shawl design and I especially love the yarn in the photo. I am working on the Anann shawl pattern at the moment. Coming along nicely.
    I have the perfect yarn in my stash for the Little Fictions shawl and can’t wait to get started.
    Thank you for another beautifully designed pattern!
    Sandra

[email protected]
      August 3, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Hi Sandra! Thank you so much. I am so pleased that people like the one skein patterns. I love wearing them and there are so many gorgeous yarns to choose:)

Patricia Molloy
    October 30, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Were can I buy the yarn you used for the crochet shawl it’s beautiful

Jane
    January 15, 2020 at 11:42 pm

What color yarn did you use for the shawl

Natalie
    June 6, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Hi, I am attempting your pattern but I feel my dimensions are a bit out. I feel mine my ratio of width to height is off. Mine seems to be shallower than I feel it should be. Any advice before I continue further. X

[email protected]
      June 8, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Hi Natalie. The design is a shallow shawl but if you are concerned, send me a picture and I will take a look. If you are following pattern correctly, you may just need to make your beginning chains a bit looser:)

Colleen
    July 8, 2020 at 4:17 am

This was the first shawl I’ve ever made and it was so easy and fun!! Thanks for providing the stitch diagram too, that was really helpful as I went along. I used the Lion Brand yarn Shawl in a Ball and finished the piece with some still left over. This is such a lovely design and I think I might just have to make another!!

Summer
    September 8, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Hi! I am trying to make the Little Fictions shawl but am having issues. I think it is because I don’t understand the pattern when it gets to the turn part and the stitches after that. From my understanding, all of the following stitches in italics made into the crochet that was last made but this is creating a round edge and I am just very confused. Please could you explain these stitches.
    Thankyou so much! I really love this design

[email protected]
      September 8, 2020 at 9:39 pm

Hi! The stitches in italics are not to be worked. They are a count of total stitches in that row to help you keep track. When you finish a row count your stitches and they should be the same as in ‘italics’ Hope that helps!

Margo
    January 18, 2021 at 10:01 am

Hello Carmen,
    Is there any chance of you making a video for this beautiful shawl? I am struggling with the instructions as I sometimes just don’t know where to insert my crochet 🙁

[email protected]
      January 20, 2021 at 10:42 am

Hi Margo! It is on my list and I will add a video as soon as I can:)

Keriman
    January 29, 2021 at 8:41 pm

Hi!
    I think that the 6th row of the instructions does not match the chart and if we follow the instructions, the triangle seems wrong.
    Could you please check and reply?
    Thanks in advance,
    Keriman

[email protected]
      January 30, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Hi! Can you let me know where you are seeing a problem? The instructions and chart are correct and I would like to help you.

Virka en sjal – aehandmade.wordpress.com
    March 7, 2021 at 6:44 pm

[…] alpacka 225g Virknål: 4mm Virkmönster: klicka här Jag har blockat den hårt. Den var ganska kompakt innan och jag ville ha den […]

J
    April 15, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for this beautiful pattern! I just have a quick question on row 6 and the following even rows, I’m not sure if I’m reading it wrong, but when I crochet the even row, on the next odd row, I’m somehow always missing a ch-2 sp towards the beginning of the odd row. I’ve been adding a ch 2 after the last dc and before the last [1 dc, ch 2, 1 tr] stitch, but I don’t know if I’m still following your pattern right. If you get the chance to take a look, can you help me clarify this please? Also, since I’m a bit short on yarn (whoops), do you happen to know how much yarn length to leave for the border and tassels, so I know when to stop crocheting the body? Thank you so much!

Row 6: Ch 6, 1 dc in 1st st (base of ch 6), * ch 2, skip next dc, 1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 2, skip next dc, 1 dc in next sc; rep from * across, ending with {is there a ch 2 here?} [1 dc, ch 2, 1 tr] in last st (top of beg ch 4), turn.

[email protected]
      April 17, 2021 at 8:11 am

Hi! I suggest you watch the video as it will clearly show you how to place the stitches. Feel free to email me: [email protected] with a picture if I can help further. I suggest leaving approx. 10m of yarn for the border and tassels but you could use a contrast colour if short!